Handball was first played in Scandinavia and Germany at the end part of the 19th century. This is otherwise known as Hand football or Field ball. Holger Nielsen is a Danish physical education teacher. He drew up rules for modern hand ball in 1898 & published them in 1906. Field handball was first recognized at the turn of the century and G. Wallström introduced the sport of “handball” to Sweden in 1910.
RULES & REGULATION
The main objective of this game is to put the ball in the opponent’s goal post by hands . The rules are similar to the football & hockey. Only goal keeper saves the ball by his/her hands, legs & head but any other players can’t pass the ball by using their any part of the body below knee.
- The ball must be made from leather or synthetic material and it must be of a size to fit in the hand of a player.
- Each team consists of 7 players; a goalkeeper and 6 outfield players.
- A match consists of two innings of 30 minutes each & a 10 minutes break in between two half.
- Outfield players can touch the ball with any part of their body that is above the knee.
- Only the goalkeeper is allowed to come into contact with the circle of the goal area.