Generally we all know that Appendix is a vestigial part of our body like tail bone & wisdom teeth. But that is wrong. Appendix is also important for our body’s function. Let’s go to the concept.
Appendix is present in the right side of lower abdomen below the cecum (part of large intestine). It has a small pouch like structure. Some researchers say that Appendix is a vestigial part of our body & it was important in ancient time. At the 1st stage of evolution human was like a monkey and ate various leaves which contain cellulose. So Appendix is responsible for facilitating the digestion of cellulose with the help of microorganism. But in modern human body we normally say that it is not important & now it is like a vestigial organ.
According to evolution theory the vestigial part slowly abolished from our body. For EX – big canine teeth in ancient human beings slowly abolished & converted to smaller size canines. Now the question is If appendix is vestigial then why it is still present in our body parts. Why it didn’t abolish???
FUNCTION OF APPENDIX IN OUR BODY
The main point about Appendix is once the organ appeared, it was never lost.
- In humans, the appendix strengthens & supports the immune system because it contains a high concentration of immune cells within its walls.
- It acts as an lymphoid organ & produces B-lymphocytes. These B cells are responsible for producing antibodies that attack the invading bacteria, viruses & toxins that cause harm to our body.
- It also helps in the movement of lymphocytes to various other locations in the body. It produces IgA which helps to maintain mucosal immunity.
- Appendix is the store house of the beneficial bacteria & these bacteria protect intestine from harmful infections.
- The appendix is also believed to help fetuses development.
- Endocrine cells appear in the appendix of the human fetus at the 11th week of development. These cells of fetal appendix produce important neurotransmitters & hormones, which help in metabolism, & other biological mechanism.
- It also can be used in various repair procedures for parts of the GIT, replaces sphincter muscles & diseased uterus.
When the appendix becomes swollen, inflamed & filled with pus called as Appendicitis. Common symptoms are Lower abdominal pain, fever & Elevated WBC count. There some causes for appendicitis they are – Buildup of hardened stool, Enlargement lymphoid follicles,Intestinal worms, Traumatic injury, Tumors etc.
Severe appendicitis treated by surgical procedure called as Appendectomy.